Thursday 11 February 2010

Chic London Pad or Rural Country Manor? Lucy shares her venue dilemmas


I've been engaged for one month and 8 days. The total bliss I initially felt has been replaced with a mild sense of panic. Does anyone else feel like this?

This started when we began our search for a venue for our reception. It is soooo stressful. We have 140 guests (so far...) which means finding somewhere to seat that many people is difficult to say the least. We scoured venue websites like http://www.hitched.co.uk/ and http://www.weddingvenues.com/ which were really useful and found some that we thought looked good. However when we went to view them they were really awful. Why do venues put up pictures that don't look anything like they do in real life? It's like going on a date with somebody you met online only to find out they are 2ft shorter and 10 years older than you were led to believe. You're bound for disappointment!

I was starting to feel really despondent when we went to see the Criterion on Picadilly Circus http://www.criterionrestaurant.com/. WOW!!! It's totally gorgeous. It's a Grade II listed building and the architecture is stunning. Everything seems to sparkle thanks to glittering gold tiles on the walls and ceiling. Although I really loved it and thoroughly enjoyed a delicious cocktail there I don't think it's right for our wedding as it's so central it would be a nightmare for people to park but I would definitely recommend going for a cheeky cocktail. Why not go after you've been to the National Wedding Show?

It's so hard to know what kind of venue we want as we don't have any ties to anywhere other than London. Do we go to the country (if so where?) and hire a castle, a stately home, a marquee or a barn or stay closer to home and have a chic London celebration in a great restaurant? If anyone has any suggestions for good venues I'm all ears. The only thing I know for sure is that I don't want any kids at my wedding. This seems to really divide people. I've been to too many weddings where you can't hear the vows due to some noisy brat screaming while their parents coo over them. What is the polite way to announce this to friends and family?

I have a few more venue visits booked in and I am going to talk to more at the National Wedding Show this Friday, so I'll let you know how they go but if we're planning on getting hitched in September I need to get a wiggle on. I can feel that panic rising!!

Luce x

5 comments:

  1. Hello Lucy! I have been in your exact dilemma! Been engaged for nearly 2 months now, as a London bride to be searching for a venue is very stressfull it seems like there are alot of choices but then you seem unable to find anywhere you both like! I looked at very different venues, one being browns resturant in covent garden - nice, but not very nice staff. Then we looked and somewhere completely different, 06 st chads a great urban place in kings cross which would be totally private and had lovely staff but was sadly too small. Then after hating the idea of a hotel wedding, we looked at a hotel - The Bloomsbury. By this point we were feeling very weary and let down by London! It was like finding a diamond needle in a very grey haystack! It was so perfect, could accomodate our every need, and was within our price rance! I guess what I'm staying is KEEP LOOKING! Don't give up, persevere and look at places you didn't think you'd like or even consider and you might just find the perfect place for you!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got engaged at christmas. I live in Eastbourne so not london. I spend two weeks looking at venue websites making lists etc. Most of which either my mum or fiance didn't like or were not appropriate for out guests. Then one day my fiance said What about the grand in Eastbourne. I didn't even consider this. we booked to go and fell in love with it. We;re having our ceremony there too. we love it meets all out needs. so happy :) keep looking there could be a gem right under your nose that you would never think about. stay positive. i know i went in to panic mode but then with one visit it was all sorted.

    plus i'll be there at the wedding show on friday too maybe see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your engagement Luce, I think there's some great venues in London for wedding celebrations so your a bit spoilt for choice.... but if your prepared to go outside London then you rally do have a whole world of choice!

    Favorite place in London, Browns Hotel for proper old world service.

    http://boundlessphotos.com/blog/2009/10/13/westminster-register-office-wedding-browns-hotel-victoria-jonathan/

    Or take a trip up the M40 to Warwickshire and your bang in the center of the country so easy for all your guests to get to and we have fantastic venues like Mallory Court, Ettington Park, Billesley Manor and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selecting the London wedding venue depend on your financial status as well as one thing more you need to keep in mind that how many people you are going to invite. Finding the London wedding venue is not a difficult task. The internet is the right option for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Luce

    How are the plans going? I thought you would be posting more often? xx

    ReplyDelete