Wednesday 24 February 2010

Find your dream dress, perfect venue, inspirational flowers and more at The National Wedding Show


The National Wedding Show last week at Olympia was amazing. I came away with loads of inspiration, a camera full of ideas, a fab goodie bag and professionally inserted false eyelashes!

There were so many suppliers there who were all really friendly and helpful, I think I must have spoken to each and every one of them including florists, wedding dress companies, stationers, and reception venues. The Show was really busy so if you're going to the Birmingham one I suggest getting in there early and definitely wear comfy shoes and it's a big show with lots to get around. I had a VIP pass which meant that I received a glass of bubbly in the VIP bar which set me off nicely and a goodie bag which I suggest you collect at the end so you don't need to carry it round all day (it's packed full of goodies so is quite heavy). I did a quick once round to get my bearings and then sat and watched a really fantastic fashion show. There were so many beautiful dresses in scores of different styles that there is without doubt something for everyone. I've totally decided that I want to have my three bridesmaids in fifties prom dresses, Candy Anthony http://www.candyanthony.com/ and Fur Coat No Knickers http://www.furcoatnoknickers.co.uk/ had the most sublime dresses. Look out for the gorgeous yellow bridesmaid dress on the catwalk which has a huge full yellow petticoat skirt. They're not cheap but they will look totally gorgeous as they proceed you down the aisle. After the catwalk was an inspirational session about flowers which was really useful. They said that you shouldn't have big displays that stop your guests from talking across the table as they will just end up on the floor. Good advice indeed! While I'm talking about flowers the displays on show were totally divine and the florists really created wow pieces. Ask if you can take pictures to give inspiration for your florist. They all said yes when I asked.
Brides magazine had the most exquisite tent which they shared with Shu uemura make-up, it was a little oasis of calm and I had gorgeous lash inserts and a delicious cupcake while flipping though their glossy mag. The editorial team are one hand to offer advice and calm brides down. There were a few who looked a bit panicked when they entered but after a quick chat and a visit to the lash bar they left looking wide eyed and calm. I'm going to book a make-up artist from Shu uemura for my wedding day as I know my hands will be shaking on the day and applying liquid eyeliner would be a disaster.

Wedding photography was one area where I was totally in the dark. There are numerous photography stands and many were offering a show discount which was up to as much as 30%. My favourite ones were the ones which created a story book of your day and followed you from when you were getting ready to the first dance. They really captured the mood of the day. Take time to look through some of their books and talk to them about how they go about capturing those fleeting moments. My favourite one was Andre Dugas http://www.adugasphoto.com/ who was the photographer for Leah Woods, well if it's good enough for the Rolling Stones it's good enough for me. They are offering a 30% discount and were soooo nice so definitely go and see him.

Lots of the stands have competitions and I entered every one going, well somebody has to win don't they. My fingers are crossed but I'm not holding my breath.

Finally, food...The best place for food is without doubt the Champagne Bar which serves huge plates of smoked salmon and salad. At £9.50 they might look expensive but they are so big you could definitely share one with a friend and still not be able to finish. And of course you should wash it down with a glass of bubbly, well you do have something to celebrate after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment